Nigerians celebrities’ relationships and marriages took a downward spiral from amity to enmity in 2023.
The year ended with a number of celebrity marriages ending bitterly due to one or more reasons.
Some of the reasons have been identified to include domestic violence, infidelity, emotional detachment, feminism, lack of defined gender roles amongst others.
Some celebrities whose unions crashed in 2023 are:
1. Popular sensational Yoruba actress, Wunmi Toriola in January 2023, announced the end of her marriage via an Instagram post.
According to the actress, her ex-husband couldn’t handle her fame and would always rub it in whenever an argument arose. She also debunked allegations of being violent in the marriage.
2. Yoruba actor and producer, Yomi Alore, popularly called Yomi Gold, also in January announced the end of his second marriage to his wife, Meenah.
The actor took responsibility for the split while also praising his wife. He further blamed loss of love and affection in the union for the split. According to him “When love dies in a relationship nobody should force it”.
3. Sensational Yoruba actor, Bolanle Ninalowo, in September, announced the end of his 17-year marriage to his wife, Bunmi, on Instagram.
Announcing their separation, Ninalowo said; “A sad reality I prayed, nurtured and worked tirelessly hard never to experience for the sake of all. My wife and I have decided to go our separate ways and headed for an irreconcilable marriage dissolution.”
4. Veteran Nollywood actress, Stella Damasus, in October, confirmed the breakup from her husband, Daniel Ademinokan.
According to the actress, she was served breakfast via YouTube, adding that her husband has moved on with another lady.
This shocked many fans, who did not see it coming because of their usual public display of affection which portrayed marital bliss.
5. Davido’s logistics manager, Isreal Afeare, popularly known as DMW, announced the end of his marriage to his wife, Sheila Courage in a post via instagram in November.
Israel DMW accused his wife of ingratitude, despite his generosity during the marriage. He claimed that Sheila left the marriage in August.
6. Popular Yoruba actor, Damola Olatunji was previously in a relationship with his colleague, Bukola Awoyemi, popularly called Arugba.
The actress announced their separation via her Instagram page, alleging her partner of infidelity, which he outrightly denied.
She also claimed that she was never married to Olatunji but bore him children.